The proponent was proposing to install solar power mini grid in Isiolo County. The Government of Kenya is encouraging the development of projects relying on renewable energy sources such as geothermal, solar, Hydro, wind, biomass, among others.
The objectives for this project were:
- To identify the potential environmental impacts resulting from the development of the sites and installation of solar powered mini grids and propose the mitigation measures against these negative effects.
- To generate baseline data on how mitigation and evaluation measures will carried out during implementation of the project.
- Prepare environmental management and monitoring plans for the proposed project.
- To assess the compliance of the project with provisions of legal, institutional frameworks as provided in EMCA CAP 387.
- To suggest measures to prevent health and safety hazards and to ensure security in the working environment for the employees, residents and for the management in case of emergencies
- To provide guidelines to stakeholders participating in the mitigation of adverse social impacts of the project
- To prepare an EIA report compliant to the Environmental Management and Coordination Act (CAP 387) and detailing findings and recommendations.